If you are getting the error “No targets specified and no makefile found”, it means that you have not properly set up your makefile. A makefile is a file that tells the make program how to compile and link a program. Makefiles are usually named “Makefile” or “makefile”. If you are getting this error, you will need to create a makefile for your program.
Fix: No targets specified and no makefile found.
What is the problem?
The problem is that you have not specified any targets and no makefile was found. This means that make does not know what to do.
There are two possible solutions:
1) Specify targets
You need to specify targets for make to build. You can do this by passing the targets as arguments to make. For example, if you have a file called “main.c” and you want to build an executable called “main”, you would type:
2) Generate a makefile
If you do not have a makefile, you can generate one using a tool such as cmake. CMake is a cross-platform build system that can generate makefiles for a variety of platforms.
Once you have a makefile, you can type:
to build all the targets specified in the makefile.
How to fix it?
If you get the error “No targets specified and no makefile found” when trying to run make, it means that you haven’t specified any targets for make to build, and it doesn’t know what to do. You can fix this by specifying targets for make to build, either on the command line or in a Makefile.
If you receive the error message “No targets specified and no makefile found” when trying to build a project, it means that the Makefile needed to build the project is missing. You can fix this error by creating a new Makefile or by specifying the targets and dependencies yourself.
If you’re seeing the error “No targets specified and no makefile found”, it means that the makefile for your project is missing or incorrect. This error can occur if you’re using an IDE like Visual Studio that doesn’t automatically generate a makefile, or if you’re using a makefile that’s been customized in a way that’s incompatible with your build system.
To fix this error, you’ll need to either create a new makefile for your project, or modify your existing makefile to work with your build system. If you’re not familiar with makefiles, there are a few resources that can help you get started:
– The GNU Make Manual: This manual is a comprehensive guide to makefiles, and covers everything from the basics of makefiles to more advanced topics.
– A Tutorial on Makefiles: This tutorial covers the basics of makefiles, and includes a section on troubleshooting makefile errors.
– Stack Overflow: If you’re having trouble with a specific makefile error, chances are someone else has run into the same problem. A quick search on Stack Overflow can often find a solution.
1. If you receive the “No targets specified and no makefile found” error, it means that there is no target specified for make to build. You will need to specify a target in your makefile in order to fix this error.
2. In order to specify a target, you will need to use the “target: dependencies” syntax in your makefile. The target is the name of the file that you want to build, and the dependencies are the files that the target depends on.
3. In most cases, you will want to specify the target as the name of the executable that you want to create. For example, if you want to create an executable named “myprogram”, you would use the following syntax:
4. The above example says that the “myprogram” executable depends on the “main.o” object file. In order for “myprogram” to be created, “main.o” must first be created.
5. In order to build “main.o”, you will need to have a source file named “main.c” in the same directory as your makefile. The “main.c” file will contain the code for your program.
6. Once you have specified the target and dependencies, you will need to specify the rules for building the target. In the above example, you would use the following rule:
gcc -o myprogram main.o
7. The above rule says that in order to build “myprogram”, we need to run the “gcc” compiler with the “-o” option and specify the name of the executable as “myprogram”. We also need to specify the name of the object file that we want to create, which is “main.o”.
8. In order for the above rule to work, you will need to have the “gcc” compiler installed on your system. Most Linux distributions come with “gcc” installed by default.
9. If you are using a different compiler, you will need to use the appropriate command for that compiler. For example, if you are using the “clang” compiler, you would use the following rule:
clang -o myprogram main.o
10. Once you have specified the target, dependencies, and rules, you can then type “make” at the command line to build your program.